Saturday, November 7, 2009

Arthur’s Seat, Shopping, and Museums!

       Today started with hiking King Arthur’s Seat.  The hike takes about 45 minutes and overlooks all of Edinburgh.  Luck for us, it was a gorgeous day with blue skies and sunshine.  We stayed on the top for a while and enjoyed the view/caught our breath before making the much quicker hike down.  After the hike we walked all of the way up The Royal Mile, stopping in stores and at Starbucks for Steamers.  While we were walking along The Royal Mile, we went into St. Giles Cathedral.  It was a very beautiful cathedral and set up with the main altar in the middle of the church rather than towards the end. Around 2:30 PM we made our way to a Fish-n-Chips shop.  We had been told they were best in Scotland, and it was true.  I can now be satisfied and say I had good fish-n-chips while over here.  

Before Leaving our coveted hotel room

Half way to the top

On top with Annie

Atop King Arthur's Seat

On top with Mandi

Outside St. Giles Cathedral
       After eating we went to a really fun hat shop and tried on all sorts of hats.  We then headed to the National Museum of Scotland.  On the way, we passed the Bobby Dog Statue and Bobby’s Bar.  The National Museum was a little overwhelming, but I had fun doing a racecar game there and seeing Dolly the sheep (the first sheep to be cloned from a human cell).  Feeling pretty exhausted, we left and grabbed a Diet Coke for a little pick-me-up.  We then headed to the National Gallery of Scotland.  I really enjoyed this because it was relatively small and included pieces of artists we have been studying such as Degas, Monet, ­­­­­­­­­Rueben, Rembrandt, Gainsborough, Constable­, and Van Gough.  After the Museum we strolled down Princes Street and did a little shopping.  We then headed to dinner at Pizza Express, which totally hit the spot.  After dinner we went to a little place called “Chocolate Soup.”  They serve delicious hot chocolate and treats; therefore, we all shared some for dessert.  After dessert it was back to McDonalds to brush our teeth and bundle up for the dreaded ride home.  We were lucky enough to get the back row of three seats, which meant two people could share the seat and one could sleep on the floor.  I slept on the floor most of the night, making the ride home much better then the ride getting there.  Scotland really was a blast full of adventures and many laughs.  Even though it was short, I loved it and would do it again any day.  

Hat Shop

Bobby Dog/Bobby's Bar

Dolly the Sheep

Ready to Race!


Along Princes Street

Chocolate Soup

Ready to be home
Oh and I can’t forget…Courtney got engaged today in London while we were in Scotland. Congrats Court!

No comments:

Post a Comment